COMPETITION DATES AND TIMES
The Fête will be held on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday – June 30 to July 3, 2023, at the San Jose Civic Auditorium. Hours from 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. on all three days.
ORI TAHITI SOLO COMPETITION
- Contestants will be given their solo numbers on Friday, June 30, 2023 from 8:00 a.m. by the side entrance of the San Jose Civic Auditorium. The exact location and map will be provided as we move closer to the Fete. Group leaders may pick up Solo numbers from me, if they are in town the evening before, or at the Civic Auditorium on June 30th.
- Our house drummers will provide all drumming for finals. Eliminations & Finals will be at the SJ Civic Auditorium on Friday, June 30th. Timing is approximately 1 ½ to 2 minutes.
- Hipbands or hip heis will be permitted for Finals. It should not be more than 4” wide.
- All soloists will be given free admission to the Tahiti Fete on Friday, June 30. They must wear their Solo Number to gain in and out entry after the Solo Competition. Soloists will check in through the dancer’s entrance.
- For Eliminations dancers must perform in pareo. Length of the pareo should not be below the knees, however, know that judges also dislike very short pareos. Headpieces are optional. will be permitted. Three to four dancers will perform at a time, totally impromptu. No i’is or hand-held objects.
- Winners of the finals are those who receive the four top highest scores in each division.
- Overall Tane and Vahine Winners will each receive $500 + a round trip ticket to Tahiti via Air Tahiti Nui.
- No solo limits from any group. Independent dancers may also enter the competition.
Solo Categories and Divisions are as follows:
- ‘Ote'a Vahine –Tamahine (girls) & Tane - Tamaroa (boys) 6-10 years old
- ‘Ote’a Vahine & Tane - Intermediate 11-15 years old
- ‘Ote’a Vahine & Tane - Lower Junior 16-20 years old
- ‘Ote’a Vahine & Tane - Upper Junior 21-26 years old
- ‘Ote’a Vahine & Tane - Senior 27-35 years old
- ‘Ote’a Vahine & Tane - Masters 36+ years old
Depending on the interest, a 45+ category for Vahine might be added.
- First Place Vahine and Tane each receive a Trophy or Medal + $300
- Second Place Vahine and Tane each receive a Trophy or Medal + $250
- Third Place Vahine and Tane each receive a Trophy or Medal + $150
Overall Winning Tane & Vahine will each win $500 and + a round trip ticket to Tahiti via Air Tahiti Nui.
100 points is the maximum score possible in the solo division. Winners will be the top four (4) with the highest scores in their category. The following information is intended to clarify and give some examples as to the criteria that judges will use in evaluating your performance.
- Technical areas: Variety and difficulty of dance steps, confidence, endurance and knowledge of traditional steps and fa’arapu. Try to perform at least 5 traditional steps.
- Artistic areas: Gestures, grace and elegance, creativity, facial and body expressions, ease and comfort with the dance. Able to follow the drumbeats, the dance is totally impromptu.